Brasilia City of Brazil
Published:2014-10-21
 

 

Located on the central highlands of Brazil, with a population of about 2.6 million and covering an area of 5822 square kilometers, Brasilia has altogether 19 cities, including the city proper and its satellite cities. The whole year can be divided into two seasons, the rainy season and the dry season, with the highest annual temperature of 29°C and the lowest of 17°C. With its pleasant climate, the city is like spring all the year round, and it is known as the capital city with the most per capita green lands. In order to develop the inland area of Brazil, in 1956, President Kubitschek decided to move the capital to the inland area. The construction of the new capital began in 1957, after 3 years and 7 months, and a modern capital city was constructed. On April 21, 1960, Brazil moved its capital from Rio to Brasilia.

Being planned and constructed with new cities and towns and with urban planning, Brasilia is famous in the world for its unique planning, its architecture and rapidly-increasing population. The plan was overseen by the great architectural master LÚCIO COSTA. The parliament building on the Square of Three Powers, the Supreme Federal Court, the Office of the President and the Crystal Palace of the Foreign Ministry, etc, are the landmark buildings of Brasilia. There are neither any historical sites nor the noise of the busy cosmopolitan cities, but with its urban structure, full of modern conceptions, buildings of unique design as well as meaningful artistic sculptures, the city was  announced as the city as Human Cultural Heritage by the UNESCO in 1987, and it is the only city built in the 20th century yet listed as Human Historical and Cultural Heritage.    

Brasilia is the most attractive investment destination in mid-west Brazil and is also one of the fastest-growing regions in the development of Brazil's economy. The main minerals are limestone, gem, dolomite, etc., and major agricultural products include rice, potatoes, beans, cassava, milk and vegetables, etc. The service industry is the pillar in its economy, accounting for about 90% of the output value of the Federal District. Industrial output takes up the other 10%, mainly in construction and cement production. Although the GDP of Brasilia ranks only No. 5 in Latin American cities and No. 3 in Brazil, its per capita GDP is the highest of all Latin American cities.

In Brasilia, there are 464 primary schools, 84 secondary schools, 10 universities, 15 theatres, 20 cinemas, 13 museums and 19 art galleries.

The Federal District Government of Brasilia is composed of three departments: legislative, administrative and judicial, and the office terms for all of the elected posts shall not exceed those of the corresponding positions in the federal government. After the election, the elected positions are conferred to the winners. In 1990, for the first time the administrative officer and the members of the House of Representatives of Brasilia were directly elected.

Brasilia and Xi’an established sister-city relationship on October 26, 1997.

[Source:Foreign Affairs and Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of Xi’an City]